Splunk Search

How to divide 2 distinct counts of aggregated values using eval?

fayazvf

Hi,

I'm new to splunk and not able to figure out the solution to the problem below.
Query: |eval action=if(field1="value1", "group1", if(field2="value2", "group2", action))| stats dc(id) by action

From the above query, I get the count for values aggregated under group1 and group2. I would also want a field which calculates value for dc("group1") divided upon by dc("group2").

Please let me know how to get it.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

Tanefo
Path Finder

hi,
I think that this will have to help you.
You should initially count all the values of Group1 and Group2, then to make a division.
grou1:|eval action=if(field1="value1", "group1", if(field2="value2", "group2", action))| where action="goup1"| stats c by action as GROUP1
group2:|eval action=if(field1="value1", "group1", if(field2="value2", "group2", action))| where action="goup2"| stats c by action as GROUP2
divisioneval Division=GROUP1/GROUP2]

General solution:|eval action=if(field1="value1", "group1", if(field2="value2", "group2", action))| where action="goup1"| stats c by action as GROUP1|appencolds [search ...|eval action=if(field1="value1", "group1", if(field2="value2", "group2", action))| where action="goup2"|stats c by action as GROUP2]| eval Division=GROUP1/GROUP2

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

Can you provide sample data and sample results? Not sure what exactly you are looking for.

In terms of your dc(group1) / dc(group2), it doesn't work that way, because group1 and group2 are values of the field "action". Distinct count of action [dc(action)], would return only 1 for group1, 1 for group2, and 1 for any other action value you have in the action field.

Are you trying to count the number of results that are action=group1 and the results that are action=group2? For this you can just pipe into "stats count by action", or simply add count after your "dc(id)" to also get the count by action.

Hope this helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...