Splunk Search

How to display SPL to chart events?

adamsmith47
Communicator

I have a search I can compose using multiple appends and sub-searches to accomplish, but I assume there's an easier way I'm just not seeing, and hoping someone can help. (maybe using | chart?)

Essentially, I have a set of user login data... username and login_event (successful, failed, account locked, etc...).

I'd like to display a chart showing total events (by login_event) and distinctive count by username, which might look like below:

login_event count
successful 1600
failed 200
account locked 10
successful (distinct usernames) 1200
failed (distinct usernames) 50
account locked (distinct usernames) 9
Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ok, let's analyze what you want to get from your search.

You have three different types of login_event and you want to count occurrences of each of them as well as distinct values of username field associated with each of those types of events.

So the first part is what kind of summary you want to get

<your search> | stats count dc(username)

You want count of events as well as count of distinct values of username field.

Now you need to tell splunk how to split the values. You want separate stats for each value of the login_event field. So you add

by login_event

And you're pretty much home - you should get all the information you need.

If you don't like the layout (you should get 3x2 table) you can try to use untable. But that's another story.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...