Splunk Search

How to create an alert that triggers when a certain number of failed logins are reported using transaction command?

pc1234
Explorer

I am trying to create an alert that triggers when a certain number of failed logins are reported in a 5 minute time period.

Specifically, when a given user fails to login 3 successive times without a successful login in the next login attempt I want the alert to fire and list the failed login attempts (user and _time ).

1) events below trigger alert

user     time  login attempt status

smith 12:01 failed
smith 12:03 failed
smith 12:04 failed

2) below events will NOT trigger alert since the last event is a successful login

user    time    login attempt status

smith 12:01 failed
smith 12:02 failed
smith 12:03 failed
smith 12:04 succeeded

how do i create a splunk query(using the transaction command presumably) to identify user login attempts that meet the trigger condition?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Something like

| transaction user startswith="login=failed" endswith="login=succeeded" maxspan=5m maxevents=4 keepevicted=true
| where closed_txn == 0
0 Karma

yeahnah
Motivator

Hi @pc1234 

Here's a run anywhere example showing you a method to do this...

| makeresults | eval _raw="user,login_attempt_status
smith,failed
smith,failed
smith,succeeded
smith,failed
jones,failed
jones,failed
jones,succeeded
smith,failed
smith,failed
smith,failed
smith,failed"
| multikv forceheader=1 | streamstats count | eval _time=_time+(count*60)
| sort _time
| table _time user login_attempt_status
  ``` ^^^ above just creates dummy events ^^^ ```
| sort user _time   ``` events need to be sorted by user and _time for following streamstats command to work ```
| streamstats reset_on_change=true window=3 count BY user login_attempt_status   ``` count previous 3 login_attempt_status and reset count on group by changes ```
| stats max(_time) AS _time latest(*) AS * BY user   ``` what's the latest ```
| where count=3 AND login_attempt_status="failed"    ``` alert on this condition ```

Hope that helps

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...