Splunk Search

How to create a timechart with min, max, average and count values?

shasha97

I have written this query:

index=index_name (log.event=res OR (log.event=tracing AND log.operationName=query_name)) | timechart span=1m avg(log.responseTime) as AvgTimeTaken, min(log.responseTime) as MinTimeTaken, max(log.responseTime) as MaxTimeTaken count by log.operationName

My results look like this:

_time  AvgTimeTaken: NULLMaxTimeTaken: NULLMinTimeTaken: NULLcount:query_namecount: NULL  count:query_name
2024-03-18 13:00:00   000

I want to understand what the :NULL means, and also how I can get the query to display all values.  Secondly, the count is getting displayed for query_name that is similar to the query_name in my query string. I wanted to get an exact match on the query_name. Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks!

Labels (3)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you specify multiple aggregation functions for timechart by some field, it creates separate data series for each aggregation function and the field value. In the case of :NULL these are stats for events where the field value is empty (I suspect that for log.event=res there is no field log.operation).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...