Splunk Search

How to create a summary index to compare data with daily?

phudinhha
Explorer

Good afternoon, everyone

I'm looking for a solution for my idea like this:
Today, I want to create a first baseline of domain requests that computers in our network send to our DNS server. I've created a search that gave me a unique list of domains(domain) + count of domain (Count). I want to use this result as a baseline. So tomorrow, I can run the same search that shows me new domains that our computer requests.
1 - compare new data with the baseline, if no new domain, the result is 0. If we have a new domain, print out the new domain only. This new domain will be added to the baseline as baseline-new.
2 - the day after tomorrow, the same search will run and give us new domain again.

Is there anyway that we can achieve such result in Splunk?

Below is my search for now:

index=domain dns_server earliest = -30d latest=now
| dedup domain
| stats count as Count, values(domain)

Thank you so much

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This describes a way how to keep such state: http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/01/11/maintaining-state-of-the-union/

If you remember to include a "first seen" timestamp, you can run searches against your state data for "new domains today", "new domains this week", etc.

Side note: Instead of | dedup | stats, consider | stats count by domain

0 Karma

phudinhha
Explorer

any solution for me?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...