Splunk Search

How to create a search with eval where you know the value of the field 'sum' and save the sum's value in a variable?

zacksoft
Contributor

Not sure if this can be achieved by eval command. A bit silly question indeed.

"I want to know the value of the field 'sum' when field 'num' equals 56.
And save the sum's value in a variable 'y'."

I tried to eval, it didn't do the job.
Could use some help here.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Ok, did a bit of testing myself.

_time is in epoch including milliseconds, while now() returns a result in seconds. Perhaps that is why you don't find matches.

Just to confirm, can you post an extract of this:
| eval x=now()
| eval mytime=_time
| table _time,x,mytime,sum

Looking at that data should tell you why the if statement isn't giving the results you expect.

Update:
As commented below, you might need to round the value of _time, to get rid of the millisecond detail, in order to compare it to now()-x_seconds.

So:
| eval x=now()-5
| eval mytime=round(_time)
| eval y=if(mytime=x,sum,null())

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Ok, did a bit of testing myself.

_time is in epoch including milliseconds, while now() returns a result in seconds. Perhaps that is why you don't find matches.

Just to confirm, can you post an extract of this:
| eval x=now()
| eval mytime=_time
| table _time,x,mytime,sum

Looking at that data should tell you why the if statement isn't giving the results you expect.

Update:
As commented below, you might need to round the value of _time, to get rid of the millisecond detail, in order to compare it to now()-x_seconds.

So:
| eval x=now()-5
| eval mytime=round(_time)
| eval y=if(mytime=x,sum,null())

zacksoft
Contributor

_time = 2018-02-07 04:33:46.160
x = 1517996006

mytime = 1517996026.160
sum = 4620.3

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

That's a single event. When you scroll through the entries over time, I guess you should also be able to manually check if there is a line that should have matched the if statement. But I guess the milliseconds in the _time (and mytime) fields prevent that match.

Can you try eval mytime=round(_time) and see if you then can get a match between mytime and now-45 or whatever?

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

at any moment 'mytime' and 'x' are never equal. There is always a gap of few seconds. x is always ahead of few seconds
So I did like | eval x = now() -5 and then it gave me some values .
Thanks @FrankVI for your assistance.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

You're welcome 🙂

I've changed what I think was my key comment to an answer, so you can mark that as accepted if it indeed worked now 🙂

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

It indeed helped. Happily Accepted and upvoted .

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

This??

...| eval y=if('num'=56,'sum',null())

zacksoft
Contributor

this didn't work. my num is basically a UNIX time that I'm fetching from now() function.
my comparison is like | x=now() |eval y =if(_time=x,sum,null())
If I convert my _time to UNIX time and then perform the comparison, would that work ?

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

shouldn't that be eval x=now() ?

Or just put the now() in the if clause:
| eval y=if(_time=now(),sum,null())

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

Hi Frank.
It wont work.
On a different point, what if eval x=now()-45
and I wanna know the value of 'sum' when x has has 45 seconds less value than epoch.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

It's starting to get a bit confusing to be honest. Can you perhaps add some proper search code examples to your original question post as well as screenshots / copies of what the data looks like (especially the relevant fields).

Based on your description, the suggestions from @somesoni2 and myself should work, but apparently we are missing something specific from your situation.

0 Karma

zacksoft
Contributor

sorry for the confusion.
What I'm looking is ,
a) The value of field 'sum' when the time is now().
b) And the value of field 'sum' when the time is 45 seconds before now().

'sum' field has different values and is continious on a time line.
And I'm trying to know it's value at a specific time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...