Splunk Search

How to create a new field out of some evaluated data?

moizmmz
Path Finder

Hello,

So here's my Query:

index=video-eng-live | rename message.timestamp as time | eval time=strftime(time/1000, "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M:%S") | dedup message.concurrent_sessions, time | stats sum(message.concurrent_sessions) as "Concurrent Sessions" by message.account | addcoltotals labelfield=message.account label="Total"

After I calculate the 'sum(message.concurrent_sessions)' I want to make a new field called 'Concurrent Sessions' out of it. How could I do that? I suppose it would have to be a combination of stats and eval but I just can't seem to get it right. Please help!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vinod94
Contributor

Hi dyude @moizmmz ,

Could you please explain more a bit about it so that we can have a clear picture or can you share some sample logs?

I think you are looking for something like this...

Your search | stats count(eval( Your Condtion )) as test by message.account

View solution in original post

cvssravan
Path Finder

@moizmmz
try this: I think for this scenario you may have to use eventstats. It will calculate the sum of concurrent sessions by account into a new field as you require. Hope it helps

index=video-eng-live | rename message.timestamp as time | eval time=strftime(time/1000, "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M:%S") | dedup message.concurrent_sessions, time | eventstats sum(message.concurrent_sessions) as "Concurrent Sessions" by message.account | addcoltotals labelfield=message.account label="Total"

moizmmz
Path Finder

Perfect! Thank you!

0 Karma

vinod94
Contributor

Hi dyude @moizmmz ,

Could you please explain more a bit about it so that we can have a clear picture or can you share some sample logs?

I think you are looking for something like this...

Your search | stats count(eval( Your Condtion )) as test by message.account

moizmmz
Path Finder

Sure, so the field: message.concurrent_sessions has different values in it which tell us the number of concurrent sessions. An image of which is below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L-6q9Mlg5yrrZCWlc2xF8J0R523lqyro

As shown in the query, I'm doing stats sum(message.concurrent_sessions) and renaming the resulting tabular column as "Concurrent Sessions". But instead of just a tabular column, I want a whole new field which has the resulting values (that Concurrent Sessions has) in it.

I know it's stats sum(eval(condition)), but no matter what I try, Splunk says it's an error. Need to frame it right.

Here's the raw text of one log:
{"message": {"account": "fox_nation", "title": "Fox News Talk Radio | Public", "timestamp": 1549440027975, "channelID": "f12a9d64997042498dbb8cbe1560355d", "missing_content_slate": 2, "concurrent_sessions": 2}}

0 Karma

vinod94
Contributor

@moizmmz ,

Try this ,

index=video-eng-live | rename message.timestamp as time | eval time=strftime(time/1000, "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M:%S") | dedup message.concurrent_sessions, time | eventstats sum(message.concurrent_sessions) as "New Concurrent Sessions" by message.account |

and check the fields .. der should be a "New Concurrent Sessions" field

Let me know if it works!

0 Karma

moizmmz
Path Finder

Perfect!! Thank you!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...