Splunk Search

How to create a filter on the field fetch using REX?

Real_captain
Explorer

Hi 

Can someone help me to find a way to create a Dropdown Input on the field which is extracted using a REX command.

Example: For the below search, I want to add a new dropdown Input with the 3 values : 
a) Incoming b) Outgoing c) Both 

If user select Incoming, only those records with the direction as incoming will be displayed.

If user select Outgoing, only those records with the direction as Outgoing will be displayed.

If user select Both, all the records (Direction as incoming or outgoing) will be displayed.

Query: 

index=events_prod_cdp_penalty_esa source="SYSLOG" sourcetype=zOS-SYSLOG-Console (TERM(VV537UP) OR TERM(VVF119P) ) ("- ENDED" OR "- STARTED" OR "PURGED --")
| rex field=TEXT "((VV537UP -)|(VVF119P -))(?<Func>[^\-]+)"
| fillnull Func value=" PURGED"
| eval Function=trim(Func)
| eval DAT = strftime(relative_time(_time, "+0h"), "%d/%m/%Y")
| rename DAT as Date_of_reception
| eval {Function}_TIME=_time
| stats values(Date_of_reception) as Date_of_reception values(*_TIME) as *_TIME by JOBNAME
| eval Description= case('JOBNAME' == "$VVF119P", "Reception of the CFI file from EB and trigger planning PVVZJH." ,
'JOBNAME' == "$VV537UP", "Unload of VVA537 for Infocentre." ,
1=1,"NA")
| eval DIRECTION= case('JOBNAME' == "$VVF119P", "INCOMING" , 'JOBNAME' == "$VV537UP", "OUTGOING" ,
1=1,"NA")
| eval Diff=ENDED_TIME-STARTED_TIME
| eval TimeDiff=now() - STARTED_TIME
| eval Status =
if(isnotnull(ENDED_TIME) AND (Diff<=120),"OK",if(isnotnull(ENDED_TIME) AND (Diff>120),"BREACHED",
if(isnull(ENDED_TIME) AND isnull(STARTED_TIME),"PLANNED",if(isnull(ENDED_TIME) AND isnotnull(STARTED_TIME) AND (TimeDiff>1000),"FAILED",
if(isnull(ENDED_TIME) AND isnotnull(STARTED_TIME) and (TimeDiff>1000),"RUNNING","WARNING")))))
| fieldformat STARTED_TIME=strftime((STARTED_TIME),"%H:%M:%S")
| fieldformat ENDED_TIME=strftime((ENDED_TIME),"%H:%M:%S")
| fieldformat PURGED_TIME=strftime( PURGED_TIME,"%H:%M:%S")
| eval diff_time = tostring(Diff , "duration")
| eval diff_time_1=substr(diff_time,1,8)
| rename diff_time_1 as EXECUTION_TIME
| table JOBNAME,Description,DIRECTION , Date_of_reception ,STARTED_TIME , ENDED_TIME , PURGED_TIME , EXECUTION_TIME , Status
| sort -STARTED_TIME

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Real_captain
Explorer

Hi 

Sorry, I want to create an input (free text) on the field "JOBNAME" which is extracted via rex. 

Is it possible? 

Below input is working fine when I put a job name in the free_text input but when i give nothing or * in the 

free_text input , it gives me no result. 

<input type="text" token="free_text" searchWhenChanged="true">
<label>Free_Text</label>
<default>*</default>
<prefix>| where JOBNAME = "</prefix>
<suffix>"</suffix>
<initialValue>*</initialValue>
</input>

Any way to create an input filter as a free text for the field JOBNAME ?? 

I am using Free text input because there are more than 500 jobs and in the dropdown it does not look good. 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Where doesn't support wildcards in this way, try using search instead of where

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am not sure where rex comes into it - you could set up a static drop down like this

LabelValue
Incoming| where DIRECTION=="INCOMING"
Outgoing| where DIRECTION=="OUTGOING"
Both 

Then just place the token in your search after the DIRECTION eval

| eval DIRECTION= case('JOBNAME' == "$VVF119P", "INCOMING" , 'JOBNAME' == "$VV537UP", "OUTGOING" ,
1=1,"NA")
$direction_selector_token$
| eval Diff=ENDED_TIME-STARTED_TIME

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...