Splunk Search

How to count number of events and length along with the median value ?

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

I want to be able to able to count the number of events and the median length of events per sourcetype in Splunk ?

I'm trying to figure out the average/median size of evets for each sourcetype.
By size, I mean the charachter length of the raw events.  and then multiply the count of events with the median size to get an idea of what sourcetypes contain big events , so that I can use the data for event size reduction if that is possible.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I might approach it like this:

Find the median size by index and source type

Determine deviation of each event as a multiple of the median

Count the number of events and the number of events where the deviation is twice the median (you could use 3 times or something else depending on how diverse your normal data is)

Determine the percentage of outlier events your source type have.

index=* sourcetype=*
| eval eventSize=len(_raw)
| eventstats median(eventSize) as median_eventSize by index, sourcetype
| eval deviation = eventSize / median_eventSize
| stats count count(eval(deviation>2)) as count_doubleMedian by index, sourcetype
| eval percentage_outliers = 100*count_doubleMedian/count
| sort 0 -percentage_outliers

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval length=length(_raw)
| stats count median(length) as median by sourcetype

Having said that, why not sum the lengths

| eval length=length(_raw)
| stats count sum(length) as total by sourcetype
0 Karma

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

Thanks @ITWhisperer  for the suggestion.
What I am trying to figure out is, the median length of events for a sourcetype , to see which sourcetypes have abnormally long events, and if they unnecessary can we trim it.
Hence I wanted a SPL that would give me the median lenght of events and count of events per sourcetype and possibly another field that will multiply median * event_count  to tell me which sourectyped I need to look at for log volume/event size reduction analysis.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The median may not necessarily be useful.

For example, if you had ten events with lengths of 5, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 25, 100, your median would be 10, so median * count =100, but if you add them up you get 200. The mean however is 20, so mean * count = 200.

However, if you were interested in deviations from the "norm" to find which source types have outliers, median would be better as 25 is 2.5 times the median and 100 is 10 times the median, and only 1.25 and 5 times the mean.

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

In that case, it seems finding the median and the events that are far away from the median could be a good way to identify which sourcetypes need attention to look at for 'log volume reduction analysis'.

This is the SPL, I am using,
any suggestion to improve it to look at the culprit  sourcetypes?

index=* sourcetype=*
| table eventSize sourcetype index _raw
| sort - eventSize
| stats median(eventSize) as median_eventSize, avg(eventSize) as avg_eventSize , count(_raw) as numberOfEvents by index, sourcetype
| sort median_eventSize | head 10

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I might approach it like this:

Find the median size by index and source type

Determine deviation of each event as a multiple of the median

Count the number of events and the number of events where the deviation is twice the median (you could use 3 times or something else depending on how diverse your normal data is)

Determine the percentage of outlier events your source type have.

index=* sourcetype=*
| eventstats median(eventSize) as median_eventSize by index, sourcetype
| eval deviation = eventSize / median_eventSize
| stats count count(eval(deviation>2)) as count_doubleMedian by index, sourcetype
| eval percentage_outliers = 100*count_doubleMedian/count
| sort 0 -percentage_outliers

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

Thank you so much @ITWhisperer 

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

On the surface, this is all it takes

| stats count median(length) by sourcetype

provided the field length contains the length of each event.  But I'm nearly certain that some information is missing.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

zacksoft_wf
Contributor

index=* sourcetype=*
| eval length = len(_raw)
| stats count median(length) as median_length by index, sourcetype
| sort median_length

I tried something like this.
Can I count the number of events per sourcetype ? the "| stats count" doesn't give me the right result.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| stats count by sourcetype gives you number of events by sourcetype.  If you ask for | stats count by index, sourcetype as your illustrated code shows, it will give you number of events by index by sourcetype.  Which one do you want?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...