Splunk Search

How to convert IPV6 to ipv4?

khyoung7410
Communicator

Among the data stored in splunk is in ipv6 format. I want to know how to convert the ipv6 format to the ipv4 format. In addition, ipv6 format to ipv4 format would like to know how to convert when reading know file.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

IPv6 is a completely different addressing scheme than IPv4. You can't translate IPv6 addresses to IPv4 addresses.

The only thing I can think of is that you have IPv4 addresses in this notation: ::ffff:10.0.0.1. If that is the case, you can simply strip off the ::ffff: bit with whatever approach suits you.

Maybe I'm missing something, but then please explain a bit further what issue you have and what you want to achieve. Some sample data is always helpful for improving our understanding of your question.

0 Karma

jamesjarrett
Path Finder

@FrankVl wrote:

IPv6 is a completely different addressing scheme than IPv4. You can't translate IPv6 addresses to IPv4 addresses.

In this instance im 99.999% sure he's talking about IPv4 in IPv6 and converting it back to IPv4. So Yes. But no. We're dealing with this right now (we're are borg, you will be assimilated). IPv6 is not IPv4 but IPv6 can encapsulate (thats the word i chose, deal with it 😄 ) IPv4. Salesforce does this. You get something like ...

0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:ffff:abcd:ef01

in this example ab is first octet, cd is second, ef is third, and 01 is fourth. you have a couple of options for dealing with this but all of them start with an extract of the octets  and then involve an EVAL- that puts them back together. The only difference is that instead of doing a tonumber() repeatedly, you could add the option of using a lookup table instead which may save some processing power for LISPY (or not given all the extra steps; i have no idea).

The easiest option after EXTRACTing out the octets is...

EVAL-ipaddr = tonumber(hex_value, oct1)+"."+tonumber(hex_value, oct2)+"."+tonumber(hex_value, oct3)+"."tonumber(hex_value, oct4)

If someone has a better way, i'd love to hear it. If not please accept this answer so i get coolness points. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...