Splunk Search

How to compare the data from CSV and get the desired result

nitinpa
Observer

I have a CSV (domains.csv) that contain the list of domains. I have uploaded into Splunk and get the result using [| inputlookup domains.csv]. Splunk is getting the data from email system for inbound/outbound emails.

I want to check against my domains list which are using email security protocols like TLS, SPF, DKIM and DMARC. How can I get that info?

index="pp_index" sourcetype="pp_messagelog" [| inputlookup domains.csv ]

Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @nitinpa,

to filter a search using a lookup, you have to be sure that the field names are the same both in search and in lookup (fields are case sensitive), if not you have to rename one of them.

In few words, if in the pp_index the url is called "url" and in lookup is called domain, you have to run something like this:

index="pp_index" sourcetype="pp_messagelog" [| inputlookup domains.csv | rename domain AS url | fields url ]

if in addition, domain is a part of the url and not the full url, you have to extract the domain from the url using a regex.

If you share an example of logs and of domain .csv, I could be more precise.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

nitinpa
Observer

Hi Giuseppe,

Thank you for your help on this!

I got the list of domains from domains.csv. I want to search those domains against inbound emails which is stored in sourcetype = PP_messagelog. I want to match the sender domain field and check if they are using proper email security protocols or not by verifying TLS, SPF, DKIM DMARC etc.

There is a field called "connection.tls.inbound.version" so I can check from that CSV that this domain is using TLS v1.2 or 1.1 or 1

For example, If the list contains gmail.com. I will check gmail.com against search and using the above field, find out that whether gmail.com is using TLSv1.2 or not.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Nitin

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @nitinpa,

I try to summarize:

• in your lookup (called e.g. "my_domain_lookup") you have two fields:
    • domain (e.g.: gmail.com),
    • connection.tls.inbound.version (e.g.: 1.2, 1.1, 1.0);
  • in the events you have email addresses (e.g. my_address@gmail.com) in a field called "email";
  • you want to enrich the reaults of your search with the information about TLS.

Is this correct?

Only two questions:

• do you want to highlight the condition TLS=1.2 or TLS!=1.2?
  • what happens if the domain isn't in the lookup?

In the meantime, you could run something like this:

index=your_index sourcetype=PP_messagelog
| rex field=email "[^@]*@(?<domain>.*)"
| dedup domain
| lookup my_domain_lookup domain OUTPUT connection.tls.inbound.version
| table domain connection.tls.inbound.version

to have the list of all domains with related TLS (when present).

At the end you can add a condition to filter domains based on TLS (e.g. to find only TLS=1.2):

| search connection.tls.inbound.version="1.2"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

nitinpa
Observer

Hi Giuseppe,

That's correct! I want to enrich the result of the search with the information about TLS.

I want to highlight the condition TLS=1.2

There are two parts of it 

• Using below command, I am getting the list of domains within specific time frame "index="pp_index" sourcetype="pp_messagelog" | rex field=envelope.from "(?<=@)(?<domain>([a-zA-z0-9.-]*))" | dedup domain | table domain" AND
  • I have the list of domains which is stored in domains.csv "| inputlookup Domains.csv"

I want to check the domains from the list (domains.csv) with the source (pp_messagelog) and check if it's using TLS 1.2 or not. If the domain is not from the list then simply ignore that domain.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Nitin

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @nitinpa,

you speak of source (pp_messagelog), but from your question it seems to be the sourcetype: which information have you in the lookup: source or sourcetype?

in other words, do you want to relate the main search and the lookup using the sourcetype, the domain or both?

If you want to use the sourcetype to check the TLS and not the domain, you have only to modify just a little bit my previous search:

index=your_index sourcetype=PP_messagelog
| rex field=email "[^@]*@(?<domain>.*)"
| dedup domain
| lookup my_domain_lookup sourcetype OUTPUT connection.tls.inbound.version
| table domain sourcetype connection.tls.inbound.version
| search connection.tls.inbound.version="1.2"

if you want to use the domain, use the old search. 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

nitin_pangerkar
Observer

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks and Regards,

Nitin

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...