Splunk Search

How to compare each day's events to lookup table values and return differnces?

schilds427
Explorer

I have a search that gets events related to procedures from the past week and organizes them into days. I also have a lookup table which holds the values of the procedure names I want to look for. This lookup table data has no date values, unlike my splunk data,  since I want to compare it against every day represented.  Search: 

(index=app host=host1sourcetype=st1) OR (index=chub source=s2) earliest=-1w@w latest=now 
[|inputlookup chubDashboardProcedures.csv | fields 1.0_Procedures | rename 1.0_Procedures as search|format "" "(" "" ")" "OR" ""] 
| fields Procedure_Name,Process_Name,Activity_Code, UpdatedDate
| eval Procedure_Name=coalesce(Process_Name, Procedure_Name)
| eval update = strptime( UpdatedDate, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval Day = relative_time(update,"@d") - if((tonumber(strftime(update, "%H%M")) < 1400),  (24*60*60), 0)
| dedup Procedure_Name Day
| append [|inputlookup chubDashboardProcedures.csv|fields   1.0_Procedures, UpdatedDate| rename 1.0_Procedures as Procedure_Name_New| eval from="lookup"]
| stats values(Procedure_Name_New) as lookup_procedures values(from) as from count(Procedure_Name) as fromcount values(Procedure_Name) as Procedure_Name_List values(eval(if(Activity_Code !="2000", Procedure_Name,null()))) as Failures by Day
| mvexpand lookup_procedures
| eval missing= if(match(Procedure_Name_List,lookup_procedures), "SAME", lookup_procedures)
| sort - Day
| eval Success_Percent = round(((Success_Count/Procedure_Count)*100),2)
| eval Day = strftime(Day, "%F")
| table Procedure_Name_List, lookup_procedures Failures missing

The lookup table values are there and I can compare them to a list of procedures that haven't been grouped into dates, but as soon as I group into dates I can't compare them anymore. I want to display events that are found in the lookup table but not the events for each day. 

Labels (5)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

That's fine because you can see the results, but we don't know anything.
You can do it.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=yours 
| lookup A as B OUTPUT C
| where NOT C!=""

There are some fields that are only available in lookup, so filter them.

0 Karma

schilds427
Explorer

Not sure that works for my situation. I can get the lookup table field values I want and can even run them through stats-values but if I try to group that data as I do my splunk data I can't work with it anymore. 

So if I just run : 

(index=app host=host1 sourcetype=st1) OR (index=chub source=s1) earliest=-1w@w latest=now 
[|inputlookup chubDashboardProcedures.csv | fields 1.0_Procedures | rename 1.0_Procedures as search|format "" "(" "" ")" "OR" ""] 
| fields Procedure_Name,Process_Name,Activity_Code, UpdatedDate
| eval Procedure_Name=coalesce(Process_Name, Procedure_Name)
| dedup Procedure_Name 
| append [|inputlookup chubDashboardProcedures.csv|fields   1.0_Procedures| rename 1.0_Procedures as Procedure_Name_New]
| stats values(Procedure_Name_New) as Lookup_Procedure_List values(Procedure_Name) as Procedure_List count(eval(Activity_Code = "2000")) as Success_Count, values(eval(if(Activity_Code !="2000", Procedure_Name,null()))) as Failures, count as Procedure_Count
| table Procedure_List Lookup_Procedure_List

That gives me two lists:  one that's the procedures from splunk and one that's the procedures from my lookup table. But if I try grouping the data by date my lookup procedure list becomes empty. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...