Splunk Search

How to compare counts on two different indexes on fields

AshChakor
Path Finder

I have two indexes and it has similar fields and need to compare counts on these two indexes.

For example

Index A

Id  

status_code

b

a

a

m

b

c

Index B

ID

category_code1

from_dt

To_dt

p

01/01/2019

09/14/2018

b

01/01/2019

null

a

01/01/2019

null

m

01/01/2019

null

a

01/01/2019

null

Expected output

Index A count

Index B Count

difference

Category A

Category B

Category C

How do I get this count by categories on two different indexes. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AshChakor,

if status_code and category_code1 are the same kay, you can use rename to have one key and then use index to divide values, something like this:

index=indexA OR index=indexB
| rename status_code AS category_code1
| stats count(eval(index=indexA)) AS "Index A count" count(eval(index=indexB)) AS "Index B count" BY category_code1
| eval difference="Index A count"-"Index B count"
| table category_code1 "Index A count" "Index B count" difference

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AshChakor,

if status_code and category_code1 are the same kay, you can use rename to have one key and then use index to divide values, something like this:

| stats count(eval(index=indexA)) AS "Index A count" count(eval(index=indexB)) AS "Index B count" BY category_code1
| eval difference="Index A count"-"Index B count"
| table category_code1 "Index A count" "Index B count" difference

Ciao.

Giuseppe

AshChakor
Path Finder

@gcusello  Thanks for the reply.  I have to determine Categories based on the following values for example 

| eval CategoryACount = if( (IN(category_code1, "a", "m") OR like(category_code1, "q%"))  AND isnull(TO_DT), 1, 0)

| eval CategoryBCount = if( (like(category_code1, "?%") OR like(category_code1, "b%"))  AND isnull(TO_DT), 1, 0) | stats count(CategoryACount ) as CategoryA, count(CategoryBCount ) as CategoryB .

Also one more problem is TO_DT doesn’t apply on Index A. I am not sure how to include the above into the above query you mentioned

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AshChakor,

sorry I forgot it, you have to use the values option in stats count:

| stats count(CategoryACount) AS CategoryA count(CategoryBCount) AS CategoryB values(TO_DT) AS TO_DT BY category_code1

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

AshChakor
Path Finder

@gcusello I tried the suggestions but rename field and the query didn't work. Sorry that I didn't display my eval experssions earlier.  Here is my basic query which results into two rows and 6 columns. 

| eval indexA_CategoryA = if( (IN(status_code, "m", "p") OR like(status_code, "n%")) , 1, 0)

| eval indexA_CategoryB = if( like(status_code, "s%") , 1, 0)

| eval indexA_CategoryC = if( (like(status_code, "^%") OR like(status_code, "h%")) , 1, 0)

| eval indexB_CategoryA = if( (IN(category_code1, "m", "p") OR like(category_code1, "n%")) AND isnull(TO_DT), 1, 0)

| eval indexB_CategoryB = if( like(category_code1, "s%") AND isnull(TO_DT), 1, 0)

| eval indexB_CategoryC = if( (like(category_code1, "^%") OR like(category_code1, "h%"))  AND isnull(TO_DT), 1, 0)

| stats sum(indexA_CategoryA) as indexA_CategoryA, sum(indexA_CategoryB) as indexA_CategoryB, sum(indexA_CategoryC) as indexA_CategoryC, sum(indexB_CategoryA) as indexB_CategoryA, sum(indexB_CategoryB) as indexB_CategoryB, sum(indexB_CategoryC) as indexB_CategoryC by index

index

indexA_CategoryA

indexA_CategoryB

indexA_CategoryC

indexB_CategoryA

indexB_CategoryB

indexB_CategoryC

IndexA

IndexB

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AshChakor,

what do you mean with "didn't work": do you have wrong results or didn't you have any results?

If wrong results, check one by one each eval statement, maybe anyone isn't correct.

If you haven't results, delete the stats command and see for each index which values you have.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

AshChakor
Path Finder

@gcusello Your solution is working now I tweaked a little to get the category definition 

| eval category = case( (category_code1 IN(, "m", "p") OR like(category_code1, "n%")) , CategoryA, like(category_code1, "s%"), CategoryB, (like(category_code1, "^%") OR like(category_code1, "h%"), CategoryC ))
| stats count(eval(index=indexA)) AS "Index A count" count(eval(index=indexB)) AS "Index B count" BY category| eval difference="Index A count"-"Index B count" | table category "Index A count" "Index B count" difference

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @AshChakor,

good!

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

AshChakor
Path Finder

@gcusello  Thank you!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...