Splunk Search

How to check a value of a field in a subsequent event?

wsadowy1
Explorer

I was wondering if it is possible to check what's the value of a field in the next event.
Say I have an index with a field called "shift_start".
I would like to create an eval field called "next_shift_start" which would contain the shift_start value from the subsequent event.
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

wsadowy1
Explorer

Brilliant! However for some reason it gives me a previous value in one field and a next value in another. Namely - it will give me the previous shift_start, but subsequent log_date_time. Not sure why

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It all depends on the settings.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A logon script generates an event every time a user logs into the desktop. Here are the sample events in Splunk from those events -

user_A;05/10/13 10:15:01 AM;field1="cat";field2="mouse"
user_B;05/10/13 09:01:01 AM;field1="cat";field2="mouse"
user_A;05/09/13 09:05:01 AM;field1="mouse";field2="horse"
user_B;05/09/13 09:01:01 AM;field1="cat";field2="mouse"
user_A;05/08/13 11:05:01 AM;field1="mouse";field2="horse"

I want to be able to generate a report when "field1" changes per user, even compared to the last event. In this case I want a report that lists the event "user_A;05/10/13 10:15:01 AM;field1="cat";field2="mouse". Any help would be appreciated.

you base search | streamstats current=f window=1 global=f last(field1) as last_field1 by user | where field1!=last_field1

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/87382/comparing-fields-with-previous-events.html

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

your base search | streamstats window=1 current=f values(shift_start) as next_shift_start by employee

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/SearchReference/Streamstats

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...