Splunk Search

How to calculate event results based on time picker range & convert into time zones based off of a user for a lookback?

beginner_splunk
Loves-to-Learn

Hi Splunk Community,

I need to be able to calculate results based off of a time range picked by the user where the user also needs those events with their time stamps converted to user's time zone as such.

I have a SUBMITDATE field which needs to fall under the range of the time picker but search query is only picking _time from splunk as the filtering field, how should I filter based on the "SUBMITDATE" field and not _time?
Any help is appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

srauhala_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In the user preferences you can specify the time zone. After selected all searches and results will be based on you selected time zone. 

Pro tip is to always expose the time zone when working with this kind of topics. 

time_with_timezone = strftime(_time, "%+")

/Seb 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Every event ingested into Splunk is given a _time value calculated from a method you have control over. This is how you search for events - always based on _time

If your SUBMITDATE field value is what SHOULD be the value used for _time, then you will need to configure your ingestion so that it picks up that field instead of where it is currently getting _time from.

Otherwise you need to search for a wide enough time range in the time picker to be 100% sure of catching all the SUBMITDATE values you want.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...