Splunk Search

How to build a regular expression that will capture multiple numbers in a field?

shivarpith
Path Finder

my log looks like below and i wanted to know if i could make a single regular expression to extract all xxx-xxx numbers

The following messages were logged on 12/07/16 at 07:52:10.

0420-094: blah blah blah destination.
0423-245: blah blah blah  changed.
0420-098: blah blah blah  job.
0424-138: blah blah blah.

so if Regex is Number then i would like to see

number

0420-094
0423-245
0420-098
0424-138

or to better understand if i do a stats count by number

number         |     Count
0420-094       |       1
0423-245       |       1
0420-098       |       1
0424-138       |       1

i know i can do multiple regex's for each one and then coalesce to merge them all, but if there's a better way then why not 🙂

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

How about this?

your search ... | rex "(?<number>[^:]*)" | stats count as Count by number 
0 Karma

shivarpith
Path Finder

Thank you for the response but the regex above will still pick the 1st number that came up in the log, i have a scenario where an event has 2-6 numbers like below but not limited to.
0420-094
0423-245
0420-098
0424-138

i want regex to parse all the values that match the regex, i was looking at MV_ADD option but not sure if that would work.

\n(?.*):

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Sorry, I interpreted your original post to be different log messages.

Is your sourcetype already correctly differentiating your multiline log events? If not, that needs be cleaned up first.

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

If you are doing this at search time, then you would probably want the following in transforms.conf (you would reference the following transform in props.conf as well).

[MVNumber]
REGEX  = (\d+-\d+):
FORMAT = Number::$1
MV_ADD = true

And you would want to add the following to fields.conf

[Number]
TOKENIZER = (\d+-\d+):
INDEXED = false
INDEXED_VALUE = true
0 Karma

shivarpith
Path Finder

thank you, i will try it out and post the update. thanks a lot

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...