Splunk Search

How to achieve stats by the existence of certain fields?

Arishtat
Engager

I have three types of data entries.

{
<Irrelevant field omitted>
"parameters": [
{
"LicenseNumber": "123456"
}
],
"eventTimestamp": "2023-05-09T15:23:57+0300",
}

{
{
"Holder_Id": "654321"
}
],
}

{
{
"Name": "John Doe"
}
],
}

I want to get stats how many by the field parameter field type as in Name:69, Holder_Id:42, LicenseNumber:76.

I thought I'd use eval to create a field by the existence of each parameters, but that doesn't work.

<base_query> | eval group_name = case(isnotnull('parameters{}.Name'), Name, isnotnull('parameters{}.HolderId'), HolderId, isnotnull('parameters{}.LicenseNumber'), LicenseNumber) | stats count by group_name

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

TrangCIC81
Communicator

Can you try the below?Just removed the single quote and added double quotation marks

<base_query> 
| eval group_name = case(isnotnull(parameters{}.Name), "Name", isnotnull(parameters{}.Holder_Id), "Holder_Id", isnotnull(parameters{}.LicenseNumber), "LicenseNumber") 
| stats count by group_name

View solution in original post

0 Karma

TrangCIC81
Communicator

Can you try the below?Just removed the single quote and added double quotation marks

<base_query> 
| eval group_name = case(isnotnull(parameters{}.Name), "Name", isnotnull(parameters{}.Holder_Id), "Holder_Id", isnotnull(parameters{}.LicenseNumber), "LicenseNumber") 

0 Karma

Arishtat
Engager

Weird, I'm sure I tried adding double quotes at some point to the eval fields. However, the isnotnull parameter has to be in single quote.

So the correct answer is,

| eval group_name = case(isnotnull('parameters{}.Name'), "Name", isnotnull('parameters{}.HolderId'), "HolderId", isnotnull('parameters{}.LicenseNumber'), "LicenseNumber") | stats count by group_name

Thanks for you help.

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Arishtat,

simplify field names befor an eval command:

| rename 'parameters{}.Name' AS Name 'parameters{}.HolderId' AS HolderId 'parameters{}.LicenseNumber' AS LicenseNumber
| eval group_name = case(isnotnull(Name), Name, isnotnull(HolderId), HolderId, isnotnull(LicenseNumber), LicenseNumber) 

But anyway, if you only want a count of occurrences of each group_name, you could simply use 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...