Splunk Search

How to achieve a field extraction from json events?

balu1211
Path Finder

Hi,

Could you help in extracting the fields from this json events.

sample json event1

{"type":"akamai_siem","format":"json","version":"1.0","attackData":{"rules":[{"data":"","action":"deny","selector":"","tag":"IPBLOCK",

sample jason event 2

{"type":"akamai_siem","format":"json","version":"1.0","attackData":{"rules":"tag":"IPBLOCK/ADAPTIVE/BURST" qualification(4) rate on category bucket(2,Page View Requests)),"tag":"IPBLOCK/ADAPTIVE/SUMMARY"

output of the new field :

IPBLOCK

BURST

SUMMARY

Thanks..

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When posting JSON data, please make sure to illustrate with conformant form.  None of the above samples is complete.  Whereas I can sort of consider the first sample an incomplete form, and just close missing brackets to form a conformant object, the second one is completely broken, and contradicts some implied structure I deduce from sample 1.  This is very unhelpful.

I will use the implied structure from sample 1.  Assuming the field "attackData.rules{}.tag" is already present. (Your numerous other posts kind of confirm this.)  As it comes from an array, it is multivalued.  So, use mvindex in mvmap iteration:

| eval ipblock = mvmap('attackData.rules{}.tag', mvindex(split('attackData.rules{}.tag', "/"), -1))

Let me throw in a bonus based on observation from your other related questions.  "attackData.rules{}.tag" do not all begin with IPBLOCK.  If this is the case and you only want those values starting with IPBLOCK, you can add mvfilter to it.

| eval ipblock = mvmap('attackData.rules{}.tag',
 mvindex(split(mvfilter(match('attackData.rules{}.tag', "^IPBLOCK\b")), "/"), -1))

View solution in original post

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When posting JSON data, please make sure to illustrate with conformant form.  None of the above samples is complete.  Whereas I can sort of consider the first sample an incomplete form, and just close missing brackets to form a conformant object, the second one is completely broken, and contradicts some implied structure I deduce from sample 1.  This is very unhelpful.

I will use the implied structure from sample 1.  Assuming the field "attackData.rules{}.tag" is already present. (Your numerous other posts kind of confirm this.)  As it comes from an array, it is multivalued.  So, use mvindex in mvmap iteration:

| eval ipblock = mvmap('attackData.rules{}.tag', mvindex(split('attackData.rules{}.tag', "/"), -1))

Let me throw in a bonus based on observation from your other related questions.  "attackData.rules{}.tag" do not all begin with IPBLOCK.  If this is the case and you only want those values starting with IPBLOCK, you can add mvfilter to it.

| eval ipblock = mvmap('attackData.rules{}.tag',
 mvindex(split(mvfilter(match('attackData.rules{}.tag', "^IPBLOCK\b")), "/"), -1))

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...