Splunk Search

How to Trigger Password Reset alarm by Admin by Distinct count of targets?

mdicenzo
Explorer

I want to essentially trigger an alarm if a user changes the password of multiple distinct user accounts within a given period of time. 

I was able to start with the search below, which provides me a count of distinct user account change grouped by the source user. 

When I try to apply a threshold logic to it, it doesn't appear to work.

source="WinEventLog:Security" (EventCode=628 OR EventCode=627 OR EventCode=4723 OR EventCode=4724)
| stats count(Target_Account_Name) by Subject_Account_Name

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

dc outputs a number.  Just use it in a logical expression, like

source="WinEventLog:Security" EventCode IN (628, 627, 4723, 4724)
| stats values(Target_Account_Name) dc(Target_Account_Name) by Subject_Account_Name
| where 'dc(Target_Account_Name)' > 5

Or more customarily,

| stats values(Target_Account_Name) as Target_Account_Name dc(Target_Account_Name) as Target_Account_Count by Subject_Account_Name
| where Target_Account_Count > 5​

Alternatively, you do not need to use dc.  You can perform mvcount on aggregate Target_Account_Name to give more concise output.

| stats values(Target_Account_Name) as Target_Account_Name by Subject_Account_Name
| where mvcount(Target_Account_Name) > 5​

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1. i'd check the TA windows for eventtype. There might be one already defined covering your event codes and your search would be more concise.

2. What do you mean by "does not work"?

0 Karma

mdicenzo
Explorer

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I will be more specific next time. I wasn’t aware of the dc (distinct count) option in search.

In the example you provided, how would I alert in which the dc has a count of over 5?

Thank You

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

dc outputs a number.  Just use it in a logical expression, like

| stats values(Target_Account_Name) dc(Target_Account_Name) by Subject_Account_Name
| where 'dc(Target_Account_Name)' > 5

Or more customarily,

| stats values(Target_Account_Name) as Target_Account_Name dc(Target_Account_Name) as Target_Account_Count by Subject_Account_Name
| where Target_Account_Count > 5​

Alternatively, you do not need to use dc.  You can perform mvcount on aggregate Target_Account_Name to give more concise output.

| stats values(Target_Account_Name) as Target_Account_Name by Subject_Account_Name
| where mvcount(Target_Account_Name) > 5​

Tags (1)

mdicenzo
Explorer

Thanks for the feedback. This worked for me!

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the problem is solved, please select the answer and close.  Karma for all that helped advance the solution is also appreciated.

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to tell volunteers what "doesn't work" means.  This is a phrase to be avoided in the best of scenarios.

This said, if Target_Account_Name and Subject_Account_Name are both available in raw events, maybe you are looking for distinct_count (aka dc) instead of count? Something like

| stats dc(Target_Account_Name) by Subject_Account_Name

Hope this helps.

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...