Splunk Search

How to Include search results as variable in query?

dwelbba00

I'm working on building a dashboard that will take a base report and parse it into different items that can be flagged for review. I've been able to get this to work in a roundabout way, but there is a component that seems to require that the base search be ran again for each of the 10 panels (meaning 10 searches). I have tried using the weekly-ran report as the primary data source and chaining the further refinement from there - by using |search in the chained searches - but it's still running the entire search again. The biggest problem with this is that this specific search can take upwards of 20 minutes to run successfully, meaning that I have 10 cores locked up for 20 minutes... Not ideal. 

A way around this would be to run the scheduled reports of this refined data, which is the next place that I went and would like to go - EXCEPT there is some dynamic data that I'm incorporating into the search. I have a dynamic CSV file that contains usernames of users that should be inside the top-level search query (index=production user IN (user-from-csv,user2-from-csv,etc). I can get this to work in the dashboard by storing the search results as a token (after having used inputlookup and format). I can't get this to work in the report, though. Does anybody know how to take a CSV file's contents and store them in a variable OR run a sub-search and pass those results as a string later in the main search?

non-working view of what I would like to see (understanding that this isn't how Splunk works):

|eval included-users=inputlookup included-users.csv
index=production user IN (included-users) action=success

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can set a token in the done handler of the base search to save the job sid, and then use loadjob to retrieve the results (multiple times)

<search id="base">
  <query base="base">
    ``` your base search ```
  <\query>
  <done>
    <condition>
      <set token="basesid">$job.sid$</set>
    </condition>
  </done>
<search>

<panel>
  <table>
    <search>
      <query>
        | loadjob $basesid$
        ``` further processing of results ```
      </query>
    </search>
  </table>
</panel>

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is much easier to solve in Dashboard Studio.  You can define a base search for the entire dashboard, and add presentations and filtering as chain searches.  See Chain searches together with a base search and chain searches.  Base search is performed only once. (You may ask it to auto refresh like in Simple XML although I haven't looked.)

Data use in intro to Dashboard Studio indicates that Simple XML can also use base search and chain search.  But I cannot find documentation.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can use the <search> element to define the base search, then use a post-process search within a panel.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.0/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML#search

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dwelbba00,

if the results to display in each panel are always the same, you could use a Post Process Search, in few words run the search once and disaply results in more manels, eventually with additional filtere or displaying only a subsear of fields in each panel.

You can find more infos on this at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.1.0/Viz/Savedsearches#Post-process_searches_2 or installing and using the Splunk Dashboard Examples App (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1603).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

dwelbba00

They aren't, unfortunately. I could schedule these searches to run during off-times if I could find a way to incorporate the inputlookup as part of the query. That's the direction I'm going now. Is it possible to incorporate a CSV file into a query as parameters?

example:

index=production user IN (user1-from-csv,user2-from-csv,...)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...