Splunk Search

How handle time-based join with streamstats

kwalking

I have 2 sets of events, 1 for registration events, and 1 for host state events. There is a common field between the 2 sets of events which is the host. In the individual registration events, I need to know what the last known state for the host is so I can keep a running total of the number of registrations that have occurred. For certain states, the count should get reset.

For the last part, I know I'll need to create a field using eval to say what the increment/decrement value for the total is and then do a streamstats based upon the host name and state but correlating those values into the registration events has proven complicated.

Any thoughts as to how to do this?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This should get you started:

sourcetype=registration OR sourcetype=status | eventstats latest(state) AS finalState BY host | streamstats current=t last(state) AS currentState by host | stats count(eval(sourcetype=registration AND currentState="RUNNING")) by host
0 Karma

kwalking

Rather, not just should certain states reset the count, but the registrations should only be counted while the host is in the 'RUNNING' state.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...