Splunk Search

How do you extract and aggregate on field names instead of values?

bcatwork
Path Finder

I am working with a log format that contains some upstream and downstream request details, containing a URI and a variable number of other fields. The ones i am interested are all prefixed by the word 'backend_' with a latency value assigned.

I am looking to extract the dependencies to know that a single URIs in turn calls 1:n different named backends. I need the field names and not the values.

take 2 sample events like:

requestID=123 URI=/foo/ backend_x=10 backend_y=15 backend_z=20

requestID=124  URI=/foo/bar backend_z=10 backend_a=100

For each of these events, how can i list all backend field names that appear?

If i use this, it seems to grab only the first backend name found:

foreach backend* [eval backend = "<<FIELD>>"]

If i use this, it seems to associate every found backend name to each event, not only the one(s) specific to that event.

foreach backend* [eval backend_<<MATCHSTR>> = "<<FIELD>>"]

Ultimately, I am after a table that would list request counts, backends used, by each URI.

I have found that I can use a regular expression to match each field and extract the name, but is there any additional way to use the existing field names and avoid the regex?

rex field=_raw max_match=100 "backend_(?<backend>[^\s=]+)"  

Thanks for any insights you can offer!

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@bcatwork ,

Try this

your search |foreach backend* [eval backends=if(isnull(backends),"<<FIELD>>",backends."#"."<<FIELD>>")]
|table backends|makemv backends delim="#"|mvexpand
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but have you tried this:

... | fields backend_*

OR

... | fieldsummary | fields backend_*
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...