Splunk Search

How do you compute the average number of emails contained in two different sources?

maryamchar
Explorer

I have two different sourcetypes with same index name. Both sources they have emails and it shows the number of those emails. I would like to aggregate both sources and find the average of emails from both sources, represent that on graph.

source="source1" source="source2" index=testing |stats avg(Emails) by companyName

I'm using Splunk Enterprise(Search and Reporting) -> making dashboards. Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kmaron
Motivator

You switch from saying sourcetype to saying source. These are two different things. Since the partial SPL you provided says source I'm going to run with that. You can always replace source with sourcetype and it will still work.

This would get you the average number of emails per company name and source

index=testing (source="source1" OR source="source2") 
| stats avg(Emails) as Average by companyName source

You can then choose your visualization to determine the type of graph you want.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

You switch from saying sourcetype to saying source. These are two different things. Since the partial SPL you provided says source I'm going to run with that. You can always replace source with sourcetype and it will still work.

This would get you the average number of emails per company name and source

| stats avg(Emails) as Average by companyName source

You can then choose your visualization to determine the type of graph you want.

0 Karma

maryamchar
Explorer

sorry i meant source. The above gave me the result of an average of one source and not combined. I want the average of both sources combined for emails by company.

0 Karma

kmaron
Motivator

You just need to remove source.

| stats avg(Emails) as Average by companyName
0 Karma

maryamchar
Explorer

Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...