Splunk Search

How do I use rex to extract fields from my sample data and get the count?

melodyqu2015

I want to extract fields.

This is the log:

country=us,name = [peter, susan, jack],city=nyc

When I do this:

| table name

The result is:
[peter

How do I use rex to extract names and get the count of name, which the output should be 3.

Thanks!

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi melodyqu2015,

based on the provided examples you can use this rex to get the fields:

your search here to get the results 
| rex field=name max_match=0 "[\[\s](?<name>\w+)[,\]]" 
| stats count(name) AS count 

The result for the example will be count=3 as you can see in this run everywhere search (the first line is just needed to build the dummy event):

| gentimes start=-1 | eval foo=" country=us,name = [peter, susan, jack],city=nyc" 
| rex field=foo max_match=0 "[\[\s](?<name>\w+)[,\]]" 
| stats count(name) AS count

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

melodyqu2015

Hi, thank you! I tried, but it didn't work.

I tried to search the following one and want to see if I extract correctly. I want the result has three names and then I can use "split" and "count" to get the final result. But I got stuck when extract and get null result here.

| rex field=_raw ".*name=\[(?.*)\]+, city="  | table  name

Do you know how can I fix this?

Thanks!

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Why not using the regex I provided to you? Yours will not match and does not work, because it contains an invalid group structure and an unmatched parenthesis.

You can test your regex at www.regex101.com

0 Karma

melodyqu2015

Your code works, but it didn't work for this log:

Amount = null,Id = sdf23sdfwieu-wejsidvuoiwue-2082rd,title = [aaa:titlebase:title#123123-2323-23223-2323-2323dfwe, aaa:titlebase:title#sdsdf-45453-dfgs-565-fgfg, aaa:titlebase:title#12dfwwe-df4f-345-8978-feferf],number = sdfi3i4rhjf-wekhsdifuh43-sdfoiueh,Uri = 3rjhoe8fu9-rhwufhwef-34piruheruf

And if I do

my search |table title

the result is just:

[aaa:titlebase:title#123123-2323-23223-2323-2323dfwe

How can I get count of title, for this case, the result should be 3.

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability - Improvements to Custom Metrics SLOs, Log Observer Connect & ...

The latest enhancements to the Splunk observability portfolio deliver improved SLO management accuracy, better ...

Improve Data Pipelines Using Splunk Data Management

Register Now   This Tech Talk will explore the pipeline management offerings Edge Processor and Ingest ...

3-2-1 Go! How Fast Can You Debug Microservices with Observability Cloud?

Register Join this Tech Talk to learn how unique features like Service Centric Views, Tag Spotlight, and ...