Splunk Search
Highlighted

How do I run a real-time subsearch?

Motivator

I am trying to join in some status information in real-time against a static list of data, but getting an error when setting my subsearch to real time: invalid value "rt-1h" for time term 'earliest' What's going wrong here?

(reason: I have a static list of apps in one index, and need the status from a log line in another. The status might not be there - in that case I have to assume the app is down - so I need the static list of apps to join against.)

Search: (all time, as app listing could be quite old)
index=applisting | table app | join type=outer app [search index=appstatus earliest=rt-1h latest=rt | dedup app | table app status]

From this answer it looks like they're not meant to be used. So how does one kick off a real-time search from the search bar?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: How do I run a real-time subsearch?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You don't.

The result of a subsearch is used as a parameter for the main search, and is therefore run first. Real-time searches do not finish, hence cannot be used as a subsearch. You get a hint from splunk when you select a real-time window from the time picker and run a search with a subsearch:

[subsearch]: Subsearches of a real-time search run over all-time unless explicit time bounds are specified within the subsearch.
0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Disappointing. Then how does one join up a real time data stream, that may or may not contain the status of the app, with a static list of apps so the report looks the same (doesn't have holes for nulls)?

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Put the static list in a non-rt subsearch?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Last I checked the join command doesn't have a right join (meaning, always include all members of the subsearch, whether or not they exist in the main search). I think I tried outer join but it would not include any items from the static list where they did not exist in the main list, so outer join is really a left join, not a full outer join.

Maybe I should try with an append and a stats rather than a join.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

Hi Jason, did you see my comment above to use a lookup instead?

You could perform your realtime search first, then use a lookup of the static data to fill out the results with whatever you want from the static list of app info.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Nope, tried inputlookup, but it's evidently "not supported" by realtime search

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Nor are appends supported in realtime, though they don't error out. Consider this search:
index=_internal | stats count by host | append [inputlookup allHosts] | stats max(count) as count by host
Non-RT, it shows all hosts in allHosts, even if they don't have any events. Changed to RT, it becomes a shorter list of only hosts that have events.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Communicator

Could you flip the search around and use a lookup instead?

Maybe you could perform the rt search and then use a lookup to pull more detailed app data. I think that would mean a lookup file instead of an index for applisting

0 Karma
Highlighted

Motivator

Unfortunately | inputlookup "is not supported by real time search"

0 Karma