Splunk Search
Highlighted

How do I return a string field (e.g. FQDN) with an IF statement?

Path Finder

I am trying to look up a server (using an input field - $field1$) in my dashboard and pull the most recent alerts for that server.

My data looks something like this:

datetime | server1.mycompany.com | alert |
datetime | server2.mycompany.com | alert |
datetime | server3.mycompany.com | alert |

The query I use is this, and it gives me what I want except for one exception:
sourcetype= index=os
| eval server=lower(server)
| search server=$field1$
| table datetime alert

The exception is that one of the servers contains multiple servers under it. For example, all alerts from "server99.mycompany.com" looks like this:

datetime | server99.mycompany.com | alert: disk exceeded threshold for server91.mycompany.com |
datetime | server99.mycompany.com | alert: disk exceeded threshold for server93.mycompany.com |
datetime | server99.mycompany.com | alert: disk exceeded threshold for server96.mycompany.com |

I need to write a query that says, "IF server=server99.mycompany.com, EXTRACT server**.mycompany.com from the ALERT field". I tried something like this but it's not working: eval extract_server=if(server=server99.mycompany.com, server=([A-Za-z0-9\-_]+).mycompany.com, 0)

UPDATE: This got me what I am looking for (the regex part)! But now I need to figure out how to embed it into an IF statement, so that IF the server is server99, then set the server field as the regex output
| search server="server99.mycompany.com"
| rex field=alert "(?[ A-Za-z0-9\-_]+.mycompany.com+)"

UPDATE: Figured it out!! Here's what worked:
sourcetype= index=os
| eval server=lower(server)
| search server=$field1$
| rex field=alert "(?[ A-Za-z0-9\-_]+.mycompany.com+)"
| eval new_server=if(server="server99.mycompany.com", lower(server2), lower(server))
| table datetime alert new_server

Speak Up for Splunk Careers!

We want to better understand the impact Splunk experience and expertise has has on individuals' careers, and help highlight the growing demand for Splunk skills.