Splunk Search

How do I resolve "Error in 'lookup' command" after configuring a lookup definition in transforms.conf?

diavolo
Path Finder

I configured external lookup definition with a script I built. However, the lookup command fails with the following message.

Error in 'lookup' command: The lookup table 'mylookup' does not exist or is not available.

SPL Command:
... | lookup mylookup myfield

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/myapp/local/transforms.conf:

[mylookup]
external_cmd = get_lookup.py
fields_list =Title,Genre,Country,imdbRating

I placed get_lookup.py in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/myapp/bin/.
What's wrong with the lookup definition?

(Splunk Ver: 6.5 / OS: Mac OS X)

0 Karma
1 Solution

kikeyama
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What is the permission of lookup definition (Private, App only, or Global) and which app did you execute lookup command in?

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kikeyama
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What is the permission of lookup definition (Private, App only, or Global) and which app did you execute lookup command in?

0 Karma

diavolo
Path Finder

You're right. I created it in custom app with App permission but used the command at search app. Thank you.

0 Karma

cdoebert
Path Finder

Does Splunk have access to get_lookup.py? The file perms might be overriding the dir perms.

0 Karma

diavolo
Path Finder

Yes, I granted 755 to the py script. The owner is the same as the one who runs splunkd.

0 Karma

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Did you restart Splunk after you placed that file?

diavolo
Path Finder

Yes, of course I did.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...