Splunk Search

How do I prevent losing the nice formatting of fieldformat after adding xyseries to my stats search?

wang
Path Finder

I have a stats command that correctly formats the count field.

stats count by method client  | fieldformat count=tostring(count,"commas")

However, when I add | xyseries method client count, I lose the nice formatting. I try to rearrange the fieldformat clause to the end, but that didn't help. I get no formatting at all with the numbers. I might as well just use chart count over. The reason I use stats with xyseries is that I thought I can format the numbers this way.

ngatchasandra
Builder

Hi wang,
If i understand your problem, you lost the nice formating of count when you add | xyseries method client count , I try to test it with my search like this index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype |fieldformat count=tostring(count,"commas") | xyseries group sourcetype count ,i lost also the nice formating, but i rearrange it with query like follow because fieldformat command don't allow to keep the formating, try to run it:

This is work very well!

index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype | eval count=tostring(count,"commas")  | xyseries group sourcetype count
0 Karma

wang
Path Finder

Close but not quite. Adding eval fixed the formatting but sorting now sorts count as strings, not numeric values.

0 Karma

ngatchasandra
Builder

I am working on it!

0 Karma

ngatchasandra
Builder

Hi wang,
I try to sort count in ascending order after converting count as strings with

index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype | eval count=tostring(count,"commas") |sort + count

or sort count by lexigraphically order with

index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype | eval count=tostring(count,"commas") |sort + str(count) , This both query work fine!

But when i apply xyseries command in this both query, the , the results not change; The results is the same like query that follow:

index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype | eval count=tostring(count,"commas") | xyseries group sourcetype count

index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype | eval count=tostring(count,"commas") |sort + count| xyseries group sourcetype count

index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype | eval count=tostring(count,"commas") |sort + str(count)| xyseries group sourcetype count

index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype | eval count=tostring(count,"commas") | xyseries group sourcetype count |sort + count

index=_internal | stats count by group sourcetype | eval count=tostring(count,"commas") | xyseries group sourcetype counter |sort + str count

Please, Don't forget to vote me if my first answer satisfy you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...