Splunk Search

How do I optimize the performance of this search with appendcols?

vranjith009

Hi ,

Can any one help with fine tuning this search? It's taking a long time to load.

index=me sourcetype=access_apache | stats avg(responsemili) as "Avg Response" |eval "Avg Response"=round('Avg Response',2) | appendcols maxtime=600 [ search index=me sourcetype=access_apache NOT clientip = 172.* NOT clientip = 10.* | stats avg(responsemili) as "Avg Response(Internet)" | eval "Avg Response(Internet)"=round('Avg Response(Internet)',2)] | appendcols maxtime=600 [ search index=me sourcetype=access_apache clientip = 172.* OR clientip = 10.* | stats avg(responsemili) as "Avg Response(Intranet)"|eval "Avg Response(Intranet)"=round('Avg Response(Intranet)',2)]
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

See if this works

index=me sourcetype=access_apache | eval inter=if((clientip!=172. AND clientip != 10.), responsemili, "")  | eval intra=if((clientip=172. AND clientip = 10.),responsemili, "") | stats avg(responsemili) as "Avg Response" avg(inter) as "Avg Response(Internet)",  avg(intra) as "Avg Response(Intranet)"
0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I would use stats with eval instead of appendcols, something like below. You will have to adjust the conditions and syntax inside if or use match but the skeleton should be something similar

index=me sourcetype=access_apache 
|stats avg(eval(if(clientip != 172. AND clientip != 10.),responsemili)) as Avg Response(Internet)",
avg(eval(if(clientip = 172. OR clientip = 10.),responsemili)) as Avg Response(Intranet)",
avg(responsemili) as "Avg Response"

Reference : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1/Search/Usestatswithevalexpressionsandfunctions

Happy Splunking!

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

let me know if it helps

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

vranjith009

Its not renjith.

I hope "stats avg(eval(if(clientip != 172. AND clientip != 10.),responsemili))" NOT function is not taking with eval

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...