Splunk Search

How do I get my transaction search to use the first start event as the starting point?

jaihind_nalla

Hi,
i have log file
and i am using startswith Starting Dispatcher and endswith completed.
but some times in the log there are 2 Starting dispatcher, so i want the transaction to consider first start , so that i will get correct duration.

appreciate help.

Thanks,
Jai

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
index=your_index sourcetype=your_sourcetype  "Starting Dispatcher" OR "completed"
| streamstats count(eval("Starting Dispatcher")) as session by transaction_keyword
| stats earliest(_time) as start latest(_time) as end range(_time) as duration count as flag by transaction_keyword session
| where flag > 1

Hi, @jaihind_nalla
start , end , duration are UNIX epoch time.
you can use convert or strftime

0 Karma

martynoconnor
Communicator

Can you give me an example of the search you're currently using and I'll see if I can rework it to use stats instead of transaction. Transaction is a very costly search command, and you will almost always get better performance using stats instead.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...