Splunk Search

How do I edit my search to get the sum for an eval calculated field?

I am trying to add to the search below so that I can get a cumulative total of the elapsed time calculation. I want one line for each store and Stall with a count of each disconnect that occurred and a sum of the elapsed time.

index="stalldisconnected_trace_index" Store=1004 | eval it = strptime(StartTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N")  | eval ot = strptime(EndTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N")  | eval ElapsedTime = tostring((ot - it), "duration") | Table Store,Stall,ElapsedTime

I have this search that gives me the count of the disconnects by store and stall

index="stalldisconnected_trace_index"  | Stats Count(Stall) as Disconnects by Store,Stall |Sort -Disconnects,Store,Stall | Head 20
0 Karma
1 Solution

Revered Legend

Try something like this

index="stalldisconnected_trace_index"  | eval it = strptime(StartTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") | eval ot = strptime(EndTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") | eval ElapsedTime = (ot - it) | stats Count(Stall) as Disconnects sum(ElapsedTime) as ElapsedTime by Store,Stall |Sort -Disconnects,Store,Stall | Head 20 | eval ElapsedTime = tostring(ElapsedTime, "duration")

View solution in original post

Revered Legend

Try something like this

index="stalldisconnected_trace_index"  | eval it = strptime(StartTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") | eval ot = strptime(EndTime, "%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N") | eval ElapsedTime = (ot - it) | stats Count(Stall) as Disconnects sum(ElapsedTime) as ElapsedTime by Store,Stall |Sort -Disconnects,Store,Stall | Head 20 | eval ElapsedTime = tostring(ElapsedTime, "duration")

View solution in original post

somesoni2, that almost worked. The ElapsedTime is blank. That is the issue I was having when I tried to make it figure it out on my own.

0 Karma

Revered Legend

Got the issue. You're converting the ElapsedTime is converted to string before stats causing it to fail during sum. Try the updated answer.

0 Karma

Thanks, that worked like a champ!

0 Karma
Don’t Miss Global Splunk
User Groups Week!

Free LIVE events worldwide 2/8-2/12
Connect, learn, and collect rad prizes
and swag!