Splunk Search

How do I compare a Saturday to another Saturday

approachct
Path Finder

I want to compare the results from one Saturday to 3-4 prior Saturdays. The query I am using is created from the postings here and returns the # of events/second that were logged for a particular host.

host="Prod_LogHistory"| eval count=1 | timechart per_second(count) as events_per_second

I would like to see a line chart that could show 3-4 Saturday's on the same chart.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

carasso
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Comparing week-over-week results used to a pain in Splunk, with complex date calculations. No more. Now there is a better way.

I wrote a convenient search command called "timewrap" that does it all, for arbitrary time periods.

... | timechart count span=1h | timewrap w 

That's it!

If you want to limit it to a specific day of the week, add:

... | where strftime(_time, "%A") == "Saturday"

http://apps.splunk.com/app/1645/

View solution in original post

carasso
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Comparing week-over-week results used to a pain in Splunk, with complex date calculations. No more. Now there is a better way.

I wrote a convenient search command called "timewrap" that does it all, for arbitrary time periods.

... | timechart count span=1h | timewrap w 

That's it!

If you want to limit it to a specific day of the week, add:

... | where strftime(_time, "%A") == "Saturday"

http://apps.splunk.com/app/1645/

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

host="Prod_LogHistory" date_wday=saturday earliest=-4w@w6 | eval count=1 | timechart span=24h per_second(count) as events_per_second

approachct
Path Finder

This works to just give me the two days, but there is a large gap in the graph. Is there a way to see the prior weekday on the same graph at a same week day.

0 Karma

Ron_Naken
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is "| eval count=1" leftover text from a test?

0 Karma

Ron_Naken
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You could probably do it like this:

host="Prod_LogHistory" earliest=-1mon@w6 | timechart span=1w per_second(count) as events_per_second

That should snap the date back 1 month, round it to Saturday, then show a timechart with 1 week intervals from Saturday.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...

Everything Community at .conf24!

You may have seen mention of the .conf Community Zone 'round these parts and found yourself wondering what ...

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...