Splunk Search

How come this doesn't work given indexers.csv is a list of Splunk servers with role indexer?

albledsoe
Engager

How come this doesn't work given indexers.csv is a list of Splunk servers with role Indexer?

| inputlookup indexers.csv| rename splunk_server as Indxr| foreach Indxr [search index=_introspection sourcetype=splunk_resource_usage component=IOStats host=Indxr | eval reads_ps = 'data.reads_ps'| eval writes_ps = 'data.writes_ps' | eval writes_ps=avg(write_ps) | eval reads_ps=avg(reads_ps)]

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is not what foreach is designed for. It looks like you want to run a search using the value of each splunk_server in your lookup, so use a subsearch like this

index=_introspection sourcetype=splunk_resource_usage component=IOStats [
  | inputlookup indexers.csv 
  | rename splunk_server as host 
]
| eval reads_ps = 'data.reads_ps' 
| eval writes_ps = 'data.writes_ps' 

I have left out the last two avg() statements as that is not how eval works - eval is to perform an action on a single event. If you want to create averages, use some form of stats command, e.g.

| stats avg(write_ps) as writes_ps avg(reads_ps) as reads_ps by host

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That is not what foreach is designed for. It looks like you want to run a search using the value of each splunk_server in your lookup, so use a subsearch like this

index=_introspection sourcetype=splunk_resource_usage component=IOStats [
  | inputlookup indexers.csv 
  | rename splunk_server as host 
]
| eval reads_ps = 'data.reads_ps' 
| eval writes_ps = 'data.writes_ps' 

I have left out the last two avg() statements as that is not how eval works - eval is to perform an action on a single event. If you want to create averages, use some form of stats command, e.g.

| stats avg(write_ps) as writes_ps avg(reads_ps) as reads_ps by host
0 Karma

albledsoe
Engager

Yep, that's it. It's been sometime since I wrote SPL.  I had been using the REST API in Bash and Javascript. But many don't want to run my scripts. So I am trying to convert to copy/paste SPL. Thanks for the quick tutorial.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...