Splunk Search

How can I perform a join with a separate query?

kkatzgraukeyw
Explorer

I need to create a query which returns a list of unique hosts (shost), the most recent 'status' column matching that host, and furthermore, the most recent time of an Event_desc matching 'Heartbeat' for that same host. All of the data is in the same index.

I think my approach may be a bit misguided since I'm not seeing any results. If I've done a decent job explaining this, hopefull that answer is more clear to someone else: How might I be able to achieve this? This is what I have so far:

index=companyindex | customparser | dedup shost, status | join shost [search Event_desc = Heartbeat | dedup _time] | table _time, host, shost, status, LastHeartbeat

Tags (3)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You can probably get away without join by using append-stats (this will perform better as well. Try something like this:-

index=companyindex | customparser | dedup shost, status |table _time shost status| append [search Event_desc = Heartbeat | stats max(_time) as LastHeartbeat by hostfieldForthisSearch | rename hostfieldForthisSearch as shost | table shost,LastHeartbeat  ]  | stats values(*) as * by shost | table  _time,  shost, status, LastHeartbeat
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...