Splunk Search

How can I find users logged on some PCs if PCs list is a result of a different search?

AlexeySh
Communicator

Hello,

I'm trying to create a list of users who use a particular software, lest say Notepad 7.6.3. I can easily find the PCs where software is installed:

index=my_software_list software_name=“Notepad 7.6.3” | table dns_name

Now I’m thinking to simply use Windows Security logs and find user who was connected to these PCs. Something like:

index=windows_security EventCode=4624 dns_name=??? | table user

The question is how can I put all PCs found in my previous search to this query? Should I use join left? Should I export the results of the first search to a lookup and then perform inputllokup in a separate one? Any other idea?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Alex.

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

index=windows_security EventCode=4624 [search index=my_software_list software_name="Notepad 7.6.3" |stats count by dns_name |  table dns_name] | table user

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

index=windows_security EventCode=4624 [search index=my_software_list software_name="Notepad 7.6.3" |stats count by dns_name |  table dns_name] | table user

AlexeySh
Communicator

Gorgeous!

Thanks for the help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...