Splunk Search

How can I extract attachments?

treven
Explorer

I am attempting to extract attachment fields from our email logs using regex. Attachments like .jpg, .png, pdf, etc. I have gone through the process of using the SPL field extracting feature however it usually results in only one attachment type being selected or another, if I try and select other attachment types the extraction fails. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @treven,

maybe this regex could work for you:

| rex "(?<file>\w+\.(jpg|pdf|png))"

that you can test at https://regex101.com/r/ol040L/1

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

treven
Explorer

@gcusello 

That did it! Thank you very much for your assistance with this! 

0 Karma

treven
Explorer
So, I was able to get the field extractor to do both png and jpg but any other selected field results in an error. I suppose I could create separate fields and use eval to somewhat accomplish what I am looking for. 

Here are some examples: 

date=2023-07-28 time=09:00:22.791 device_id=10000 log_id=000123 type=spam subtype=default pri=information  session_id="1138-7644" client_name="" client_ip="1.1.1.1" dst_ip="1.1.1.1" from="email" to="email" subject="TITLE" msg="Antispam identified spam URL: http://website.jpg"

date=2023-07-28 time=08:51:25.640 device_id=02222 log_id=00023 type=virus subtype=sandbox pri=information  from="" to="" client_name="" client_ip="" session_id="1000-0322" msg="File file.pdf has been sent to Sandbox"
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @treven,

maybe this regex could work for you:

| rex "(?<file>\w+\.(jpg|pdf|png))"

that you can test at https://regex101.com/r/ol040L/1

Ciao.

Giuseppe

treven
Explorer

@gcusello ,

This worked really well! Thank you very much for your assistance!

0 Karma

treven
Explorer

Yeah absolutely, I will post it soon. Thanks for your assistance. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @treven,

I suppose that you're speaking to extract the file name of the attachment, not the attachment file itself!

Anyway, the field extraction should already be present in the Add-On you're using, if not, please share a sample of your logs, highlighting in bold the data to extract.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

treven
Explorer

Yes that is correct I am just looking to monitor the various types of attachment types. As I stated in my post, the field extracting feature is only allowing one type of attachment. It will only extract .jpg fields and will ignore pdf or png. If I try to add another by selecting it in an event, I will get an error. 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @treven,

ok, could you share a sample (in text format) of your logs (eventually masking data)?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...