Splunk Search

How can I combine 2 searches consisting of inputlookup and outputlookups?

pc1234
Explorer

how can i combine queries to populate a lookup table?
I have a lookup table with the following values

item

i'm using the splunk web framework to allow a user to insert an item. if the user enters 3 then item 3 is changed to 4 and item 3 is inserted. the field input_item represents the value entered by the user. i'm using the query below to first renumber item 3 to 4 and to insert item 3 via an appended search.

| inputlookup item.csv
| eval input_item = 3
| eval itemnumber = if(itemnumber >= input_item, itemnumber +1, itemnumber)
| fields - input_item
| outputlookup item.csv
| append [
| inputlookup item.csv | stats count as testcount
| eval input_item =3
| eval itemnumber = input_item
| fields - testcount
| outputlookup item.csv append=true]
unfortunately, the new item is created with a value of 4 instead of 3.
is there way to combine these two queries or do i need to create 2 separate queries via 2 separate searches in the search manager?

thanks in advance,
Peter

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@pc1234 since you are anyways using Splunk Web Framework, this scenario seems to be a valid case for KV Store. So, you should try KV Store in place of Lookup: http://dev.splunk.com/view/webframework-tutorials/SP-CAAAEZT

MonkeyK
Builder

PC1234, looks like you just want to modify your CSV and add a row to it. I am guessing that the csv gets evaluated once in the query, so try this:

| inputlookup item.csv 
| eval input_item = 3
| eval itemnumber = if(itemnumber >= input_item, itemnumber +1, itemnumber)
| append [|makeresults | eval itemnumber = input_item | table itemnumber]
| fields - input_item
| outputlookup item.csv
0 Karma

MonkeyK
Builder

FYI, I verified that the lookup is only loaded/evaluated when the search gets parsed by doing this:

|  makeresults
 |  eval data= "ITEM=1 ;ITEM=2; ITEM=3"
 |  makemv data delim=";"
 |  mvexpand data
 |  rename data as _raw  |  KV |  table ITEM | outputlookup items.csv | append [|inputlookup items.csv]

If the lookukp were processed for each reference, I would get two records each for ITEM=1, ITEM=2, ITEM=3
Instead the results look like:

ITEM

Run the same query again and I get:

ITEM
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...