Splunk Search

How can I aggregate information into rows based on a transaction ID?

rpecka
Explorer

I have events which will all have an ID, stageID, stageDuration, as well as other information.

In the past I've used `chart sum(stageDuration) over ID by stageID` to create stacked bar charts, but now I’m more interested in the table produced by that command. It has a column for ID, then columns for the durations of each of the stageIDs that had the same ID.

I would like to create a similar table except I would like to include additional columns. For example, I would like to conditionally populate a column with event.startTime from the stage foo if the stageID foo exists for an ID.

I don't need to visualization, just the way of forming the table.

It seems like there might be a way to do this with transactions but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| eval foostart=if(stageID="foo", 'event.startTime',null())
| stats sum(stageDuration) as stageTotalDuration values(foostart) as foostart by ID stageID
0 Karma

rpecka
Explorer

This isn't quite it.

When I run the chart command I get this table:

sessionIDstageID1stageID2stageID...
id1998634
id2334522

I want the same thing except without the chart and with additional columns populated depending on what the stages are

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you give an example of what you are trying to achieve?

0 Karma

rpecka
Explorer

I have events with stageIDs and IDs. I want to create one row for each ID which includes a column for each stageID to indicate whether it has or does not have a corresponding event for that stageID. Then I want to filter for only the rows (IDs) that have stageID=foo present, and then create a pie chart to count the occurrences of each stageID in the rows that remain

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| chart count by id stageid
| where foo!=0
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...