Splunk Search

How To Hide The Search Bar

Ant1D
Motivator

Hey,

I have a question.

When I view a chart and I decide to click 'View results', it takes me to a flashtimeline page which displays the results in a table along with the actual search that produced those results.

How can I disable this search bar from being displayed in this situation? When I click 'View Results' from a chart, I do not want other users of my Splunk instance to see the search which created the chart.

Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 Solution

southeringtonp
Motivator

To hide the search bar, you will need to use the Advanced XML syntax.

First, create a new view to drill into. If you want, you can clone flashtimeline and then just remove the SearchBar module and it's param entries. You'll also need to add layoutPanel="splSearchControls-inline" back onto the TimeRangePicker module, since you removed the layoutPanel assignment when you removed the SearchBar.

Then modify your existing view (the one you want to drilldown from):

• If you are using Simple XML, view it with ?showsource=1 to convert it to Advanced XML.
  • Change the value of viewTarget from "flashtimeline" to your new view:
  • <module name="SimpleResultsTable">
        <param name="drilldown">row</param>
        <module name="ConvertToDrilldownSearch">
            <module name="ViewRedirector">
                <param name="viewTarget">flashtimeline2</param>
            </module>
        </module>
    </module>

This will still leave the search string exposed in the URL, however. If you need to hide more of it, you might try saving the search and calling it from the dashboards via | savedsearch, or using search macros to hide some elements.

View solution in original post

kmattern
    Builder

Edit this line in $SPLUNK_HOME$\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\appserver\mrsparkle\controllers\module.py

su.quoteattr("Splunk.window.openJobInspector('%s');return
    false;" % sid.replace("'",
    "")),_('Inspect ...')

comment out inspect and add ('.') so it reads like this

su.quoteattr("Splunk.window.openJobInspector('%s');return
    false;" % sid.replace("'",
    "")),_('.')

this gives you what we call the magic dot. It is clickable and will take you to the flashtimeline but the user will never notice.

Comment this line in $SPLUNK_HOME$\share\splunk\search_mrsparkle\modules\search\ViewRedirectorLink.html

${module.get("label",
    _("View results")) | h}

and add this line

${module.get("label",
    _(".")) | h}

You will get the same result.

0 Karma

southeringtonp
    Motivator

To hide the search bar, you will need to use the Advanced XML syntax.

First, create a new view to drill into. If you want, you can clone flashtimeline and then just remove the SearchBar module and it's param entries. You'll also need to add layoutPanel="splSearchControls-inline" back onto the TimeRangePicker module, since you removed the layoutPanel assignment when you removed the SearchBar.

Then modify your existing view (the one you want to drilldown from):

• If you are using Simple XML, view it with ?showsource=1 to convert it to Advanced XML.
  • Change the value of viewTarget from "flashtimeline" to your new view:
  • <module name="SimpleResultsTable">
        <param name="drilldown">row</param>
        <module name="ConvertToDrilldownSearch">
            <module name="ViewRedirector">
                <param name="viewTarget">flashtimeline2</param>
            </module>
        </module>
    </module>

This will still leave the search string exposed in the URL, however. If you need to hide more of it, you might try saving the search and calling it from the dashboards via | savedsearch, or using search macros to hide some elements.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...