Splunk Search

Help with table results

tod_s

Hi Splunk community,

I am trying to determine the impact of removing Adobe Flash from our environment.

I have done basic search and the results returned are much higher than expected. This would most probably be because staff are accessing external content as well as internally hosted.

Is it possible to have a query that tells me which url has invoked flash player?

I have tried:

event_simpleName=ProcessRollup* FileName=FlashUtil*_ActiveX.exe

and

FileName=Flash*.ocx

Neither of them return dns requests or url.

So far to get some answers I do a separate search (query) on the host based on the timestamp (of the results of above query) looking up the dns request.

Example result:

Domainname:   host:                      user:      filename:             commandline:

ssl.gstatic.com   computer123     user123                iexplore.exe      "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  
 https: // docs.google.com/spreadsheets/z/xyz/edit?usp=drive_web

Most DNS requests are within fraction of the second or +1 second.

Finding a computer with useful data is a draw of the luck and very time consuming.

Is anyone able to help with the above query?

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

tod_s

event_simpleName=ProcessRollup* FileName=FlashUtil*_ActiveX.exe

The query above returns, hostname, timestamp of execution, username, and others but i don't get the dns requests or url that invoked flash player.

So far to get around this I do another separate search (query) on the host, based on the timestamp (of the results of above query) looking up the dns request.

Example result:

Domainname: host: user: filename: commandline:

ssl.gstatic.com computer123 user123 iexplore.exe "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/z/xyz/edit?usp=drive_web

Most DNS requests are within fraction of the second or +1 second.

I am trying to create one query that gives me the hostname, username, timestamp, app, e.g. FlashUtil*_ActiveX.exe and dns request or url, or commandline.

0 Karma

tod_s

Hi To4kawa,

Thanks to replying.

We use Crowdstrike as endpoint protection and all loge are feed by the ent-point agent to our cloud Crowdstrike platform. 

I am novice to the splunk query language, as I just recently started exploring it.

Could you provide an example?

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

This is not about what to do with the query, but about first understanding which log contains the event.

The results I'm giving you as an example are not from Flash, and you need to find the log first.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...