Splunk Search

Help with Splunk search to join two searches with common field

vrmandadi
Builder

I am trying to  join two searches with a common field

Event1:

Jun 7 14:55:37 v3**v sudo: pam_sss(sudo:auth): authentication success; logname=l* uid=5123 euid=0 tty=/dev/pts/0 ruser=lab rhost= user=lab

Event2:

Jun 7 14:48:38 v3**v-adm sshd[14821]: Accepted password for lab from 10.**.**.** port 4***4 ssh2

I want to merge two events with common field as host which is v3**v in the events and output  the host,user(lab),ip(v3**v) and port (***4) 

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are these events from the same index/search? Which fields do you already have extracted? Is the field with v3**v-adm always in two parts separated by "-"? Can you provide more example events?

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

Yes both are from same index and same source type ... Yes everything is extracted.I an trying to see what is the best way to join so that I can get the IP and port details from the second event and merge with host ,user using host as common field .

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are not going to give us more useful details, all I can suggest is you try

| stats values(ip) as ip values(port) as port values(user) as user by host

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

These are all events from Splunk Nix TA add-on which  gives var/logs top , ps   etc logs . The events that I posted are all related to var/logs .

Event 1 is data related to sudo authentication success logs which  host and user name data .Event 2 is data related to password entered and accepted for the sudo login which has host , user name the source ip and source port .

I am trying to get the user who has logged into as host as sudo user ,source ip , source port .

Sample event 1 - sudo login

Jun 7 14:55:37 v*** sudo: pam_sss(sudo:auth): authentication success; logname=lq uid=5123 euid=0 tty=/dev/pts/0 ruser=lq rhost= user=lq

Sample event 2 - password accepted

Jun 7 14:31:30 v*** sshd[62591]: Accepted password for lq from 10.**.*.1 port 6***5 ssh

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...