Splunk Search

Help with Rex Field Extraction

scout29
Explorer

I am trying to write a rex command that extracts the field "registrar" from the below four event examples. The below values in bold are what i am looking for to be the value for "registrar".  I am using the following regex to extract the field and values, but i seem to be capturing the \r\n after the bold values as well.  How can i modify my regex to capture just the company name in bold leading up to \r\n Registrar IANA

Current regex being used:   Registrar:\s(?<registrar>.*?) Registrar IANA

Expiry Date: 2026-12-09T15:18:58Z\r\n Registrar: ABC Holdings, Inc.\r\n Registrar IANA ID: 972

Expiry Date: 2026-12-09T15:18:58Z\r\n Registrar: Gamer.com, LLC\r\n Registrar IANA ID: 837

Expiry Date: 2026-12-09T15:18:59Z\r\n Registrar: NoCo MFR Ltd.\r\n Registrar IANA ID: 756

Expiry Date: 2026-12-09T15:18:59Z\r\n Registrar: Onetrust Group, INC\r\n Registrar IANA ID: 478

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @scout29 ,

please try this:

| rex "Registrar:\s+(?<Registrar>[^\\]*)"

that you can test at https://regex101.com/r/7PdpcJ/1

If it doesn't run on Splunk use three backslashes in the square parenthesis (sometimes Splunk is strange in regex extractions!).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @scout29 ,

please try this:

| rex "Registrar:\s+(?<Registrar>[^\\]*)"

that you can test at https://regex101.com/r/7PdpcJ/1

If it doesn't run on Splunk use three backslashes in the square parenthesis (sometimes Splunk is strange in regex extractions!).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @scout29 ,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the contributors 😉

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Add in the \r\n to the regex, i.e.

| rex "Registrar:\s(?<registrar>.*?)\\\r\\\n Registrar IANA"

Note 3 slashes

I assume those \r\n are literal characters rather than CR/LF?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...