Splunk Search

Help with Regex for raw data to create pie chart?

gemtm
Observer

I need some help to create a pie chart of songs using this raw data. The command I'm using is this:

|rex (?<track>(?<=title=)"(.*?)".*$) |stats count by track 

This isn't showing a count of the songs, can anyone help me out to get this to work? Regex101 shows the regex as working to extract the song titles. Splunk does not give an error but the stats/viz panels show nothing.

Example of raw log below.

{ mediaId="NowPlayingId39" title="On The Ground" artist="ROSÉ" album="" duration=0 trackPosition=39/50 image=null }
{ mediaId="NowPlayingId40" title="Rollercoaster" artist="Bleachers" album="" duration=0 trackPosition=40/50 image=null }
{ mediaId="NowPlayingId41" title="Ghost of You" artist="Mimi Webb" album="" duration=0 trackPosition=41/50 image=null }

Labels (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

| makeresults 
| eval raw="{ mediaId=\"NowPlayingId39\" title=\"On The Ground\" artist=\"ROSÉ\" album=\"\" duration=0 trackPosition=39/50 image=null } { mediaId=\"NowPlayingId40\" title=\"Rollercoaster\" artist=\"Bleachers\" album=\"\" duration=0 trackPosition=40/50 image=null } { mediaId=\"NowPlayingId41\" title=\"Ghost of You\" artist=\"Mimi Webb\" album=\"\" duration=0 trackPosition=41/50 image=null }" 
| makemv tokenizer="({[^}]+})" raw
| mvexpand raw
| rename raw AS _raw
| kv
| stats count BY title
| rename title AS track
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @gemtm,

let me understand: when you say stats count By track,  track is the "trackPosition"?

if yes you shouldn't need to extract the field because automatically Splunk extract fields when it encounters a pair"field=value".

if not, please describe whwt you mean for track.

Then, your logs seem to be in json format, did you tried using the "spath" command to extract fields?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gemtm
Observer

I was trying to create a field name of "track" for the value I am trying to extract with the regex. I appreciate this may be an incorrect way to do it, as I do not usually use SPL. 

I've not seen the spath command, I'll take a look at this next. 

Thank you!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @gemtm,

what do you mean with track all the row or one of the fields?

please highligh in bold the "track" content

{ mediaId="NowPlayingId39" title="On The Ground" artist="ROSÉ" album="" duration=0 trackPosition=39/50 image=null }

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gemtm
Observer

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @gemtm,

you should already have the extraction of the field track with the fieldname "title, so you have only to rename it:

index=your_index
| rename title AS track
| stats count BY track 

if you haven't you could try:

index=your_index
| rex "title\=\"(?<track>[^\"]+)"
| stats count BY track 

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gemtm
Observer

I think the issue may be bigger than I expected, as the field "title" only picked out one song title from the list. 

Thank you regardless! 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @gemtm ,

if one answer solves your need, please accept one answer for the other people of Community or tell me how I can help you.

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...