Splunk Search

Help on SPL for Lateral Movement?

john-doe
Engager

Hello Folks,

I am new with Splunk.

I am looking to build a query to detect lateral movement using Windows Service creation.

I want to check for following pattern:

EventCode 4624 followed by EventCode 4697 or 7045.

EventCode 4624 followed by EventCode 7036.

How can I write a query to detect such patterns?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

<your index> EventCode=4624 OR EventCode=4697 OR EventCode=7045 OR EventCode=7036
| sort 0 _time
| streamstats global=f current=f window=2 last(EventCode) as previousEventCode by ComputerName
| where previousEventCode=4624 AND (EventCode=4697 OR EventCode=7045 OR EventCode=7036)
0 Karma

jonny_doe

Given search is unable to find the pattern. 

I tried with PsExec logs

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want more help, you may have to share more information, like what your events look like, what fields do you already have extracted, what does your current search look like, what results are you currently getting? My mind-reading license was suspended last month due to a misunderstanding with an African Prince!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Meet Duke Cyberwalker | A hero’s journey with Splunk

We like to say, the lightsaber is to Luke as Splunk is to Duke. Curious yet? Then read Eric Fusilero’s latest ...

The Future of Splunk Search is Here - See What’s New!

We’re excited to introduce two powerful new search features, now generally available for Splunk Cloud Platform ...

Splunk is Nurturing Tomorrow’s Cybersecurity Leaders Today

Meet Carol Wright. She leads the Splunk Academic Alliance program at Splunk. The Splunk Academic Alliance ...