Splunk Search

Graph of rolling totals

andrewbeak
Path Finder

Hi,

I want to create a graph that shows calculated values by time.

Each value must be calculated as the number of unique users visiting the site for the three months prior to that date.

In order to try and limit the amount of work required I want to only show one value per week.

So the value for 1 May 2018 must be the number of unique users from 1 Feb to 1 May 2018. The value for 14 May must be the number of users from 14 Feb to 14 May.

I'm pretty sure that I need to use "eval", but I'm struggling to work out how to "eval the distinct count of user.id for three months from the current row _time"

Any ideas how to accomplish this?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@andrewbeak do you want to create a chart from a table drilldown? What do you mean by for three months from the current row _time?

Also do you want previous three months or one month as per you sample data?

Earliest Time in the Time Picker will -1mon@d or -3mon@d based on last month or last 3 months as needed.

For creating weekly stats you can refer to one of my previous answers and adjust as per your needs: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/637244/time-range-to-display-count-of-weekly.html

knielsen
Contributor

I understood it like he wants to have a weekly rolling dc(user.id) over the last 3 months, so the time ranges always overlap. And if that's the case, I'd really go with a summary index, having a weekly search over the last 3 months. Easy to use, and depending on the amount of data a hell of lot faster to display in the end, when you just pull the precalculated results for each week.

0 Karma

andrewbeak
Path Finder

Thanks, that is what I am trying to do. I hadn't considered a summary index but that's a really good idea and I'll try to include that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...