Splunk Search

Fuzzy time range searches and sub-searches.

howyagoin
Contributor

Hi,

Looking for tips/hints on the best way to extract a value from a sub-search, including the timestamp that the is associated with the value, and perform a search in another index for that value within a fuzzy-ish range around that same timestamp.

Scenario is this:

index foo has an IP address and a time and date.
index bar ALSO has IP address, time and date, but contains additional values, such as OS

In meta-search syntax, I'd like to do:

index=bar fuzzyrange=2hr [ search index=foo ip=1.2.3.4 | return ip,timestamp ]

And I'd like Splunk to magically take the timestamp from the subsearch and look for the same IP in the bar index, but with a two hour variation on that timestamp.

Is there an easy way?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

It sounds very much like you could benefit from using the localize command. The docs explain the concept pretty well so I'll just link you there: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Localize

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...