Splunk Search

Formatting Callout/Lookup Data to include non-exact matches. (Lookup/log/callout issue).

danfinan
Explorer

Hi all,

Apologies for the vague title, I have a lookup problem that I need help with, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a .CSV file containing a single field named 'high_risk_keywords' that I wish to use to help filter search results. My web filter logs are plugged into Splunk with SSL decrpytion enabled so I am able to pull out keywords from Google, Bing, Yahoo and YouTube using callouts

I'm currently using the following search to do this:

index=webfilter url="*bing*" [| inputlookup high_risk_words.csv | fields high_risk_words | rename high_risk_words as bing_callout | eval bing_callout="*"+bing_callout+"*"] | stats count by bing_callout, src, user | sort by -count

If the user searched the word 'Ferrari', I get results like:

ferrari
how+to+build+a+ferrari
ferarri%20
etc...

Instead of having 4 x search results with 1 x count, I would like to have 4 x hits for the word 'ferrari'. Is there a way to achieve this where the entry for 'ferrari' not only includes an exact match, that it also includes variations as shown above?

I've tried editing:

eval bing_callout="*"+bing_callout+"*"]

to 

eval bing_callout=bing_callout]

but this only includes exact matches for the word 'ferrari' and terms like 'how+to+build+a+ferarri' get missed.

I hope this all makes sense, any help would be really really appreciated!

Thank you 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...