Splunk Search

Fill empty fields backwards with streamstats

Kristian_86
Explorer

Hi,
I have the following issue:
Have many events with different document_number+datetime_type, which have a field (started_on).
There is always 4 different types / document_number.
Then 4 new timestamp fields are evaluated by the type and the timestamp, so each event will have 1 new filled timestamp in a different field.

Kristian_86_1-1697724054777.png

Now I need to fill the empty ones from the evaluated ones for the same document_number.
With streamstats I was able to fill them further (after found), but not backwards.

Kristian_86_3-1697719333839.png

Kristian_86_0-1697724019797.png

Is it possible somehow?
Or only if I do | reverse and apply streamstats again?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try eventstats instead of stats if you want to keep the original events

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Why not just use stats (instead of streamstats)?

0 Karma

Kristian_86
Explorer

like? Could you please provide an example?
If I will use stats it will merge the 4 events into 1 or not fill the empty ones / document type
The main key fields are document_number and document_type which are required further.
So with:

• | stats max(timestamp1) as timestamp1, max(timestamp2) as timestamp2, ... by document_number
    will unify the events by document_number which is not what I would like to achieve as there are many other fields required, which are not shown in the example.
  • | stats max(timestamp1) as timestamp1, max(timestamp2) as timestamp2, .. by document_number, document_type
    will do nothing as will select the event from itself and leave the empty fields empty.

P.S.: sorry I forgot to add the datetime_type to the example pictures, will add them.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try eventstats instead of stats if you want to keep the original events

Kristian_86
Explorer

Working as expected, thank you 🙂

Kristian_86_0-1697724179531.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...