Splunk Search

Field Extraction - same field from different log events

jbuhrmann
Engager

I have a firewall log search returning two different types of events but I'm trying to capture the source ip address from both. The events look like:
Deny inbound icmp src inside:172.22.15.90 ...
Inbound TCP connection denied from 172.22.15.90/53340 ...

The Field Extraction tool comes up with one or the other:
(?i) src inside:(?P[^/ ]+)
(?i) denied from (?P[^/ ]+)

Is there a way to combine the two regex statements into a single which will return a field called src_ip_inside for either event?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try something like :

... | rex field=_raw "(?i)(?:src inside:|denied from )(?<src_ip_inside>[^/ ]+)" | table src_ip_inside

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Try something like :

... | rex field=_raw "(?i)(?:src inside:|denied from )(?<src_ip_inside>[^/ ]+)" | table src_ip_inside

jbuhrmann
Engager

The field extraction worked great. Instead of | table at the end I used: | stats count(src_ip_inside) by src_ip_inside to get a table with each src ip and number of events for that ip. Thanks for the help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...