Splunk Search

Field Extraction index=_internal

geekf
Path Finder

I tried to run the Indexing Performance: Instance dashboard but was not getting any data, on exploring the search I found out index=_internal is not doing the field extractions for this data in the log:

group=per_host_thruput, ingest_pipe=1, series="splunkserver.local", kbps=8.451, eps=32.903, kb=261.974, ev=1020, avg_age=2.716, max_age=3	

If I manually extract the fields using rex I can view it in the search but the dashboard still doesn't show the results. Is there a way to extract these fields for the internal index?

Thanks!

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dural_yyz
Builder

I can't really see anything wrong but I dislike the following.

/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/props.conf     KV_MODE = json

Since I do see it in several of the various splunkd* stanzas it makes me think it was set in local under a default stanza.  I personally would look to remove that but keep in mind if this fixes the internal log extraction it will break something else that needs the json configuration.  I've always tried to create custom apps and place any default overrides in the custom app rather than allow anything to fall into the ./splunk/etc/system/local/*.conf.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dural_yyz
Builder

I've tried to search internal in several different apps and it all extracted the fields.  The field extractions are clearly marked out in props.conf under the Splun app default directory.  I really can't see how that would have been subverted but a btool outputs from props.conf for stanza splunkd would be good.

0 Karma

geekf
Path Finder

Thank you for your response. I am uploading the btool output for splunkd.

0 Karma

dural_yyz
Builder

I can't really see anything wrong but I dislike the following.

/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/props.conf     KV_MODE = json

Since I do see it in several of the various splunkd* stanzas it makes me think it was set in local under a default stanza.  I personally would look to remove that but keep in mind if this fixes the internal log extraction it will break something else that needs the json configuration.  I've always tried to create custom apps and place any default overrides in the custom app rather than allow anything to fall into the ./splunk/etc/system/local/*.conf.

0 Karma

geekf
Path Finder

We made this change, and it worked fine!

Thank you so much for your help.

0 Karma

geekf
Path Finder

We use json for Zeek, if we change that setting, will it impact Zeek logs?

0 Karma

dural_yyz
Builder

If you put that setting under the specific stanza for that sourcetype then changes to default stanza wont impact.  Anything under default stanza is only considered if the same setting has NOT been set in a more specific stanza.  

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New Case Study: How LSU’s Student-Powered SOCs and Splunk Are Shaping the Future of ...

Louisiana State University (LSU) is shaping the next generation of cybersecurity professionals through its ...

Splunk and Fraud

Join us on November 13 at 11 am PT / 2 pm ET!Join us for an insightful webinar where we delve into the ...

Build Your First SPL2 App!

Watch the recording now!.Do you want to SPL™, too? SPL2, Splunk's next-generation data search and preparation ...